Lucid dreaming facts are a way to summarize the wonder and potential of lucid dreams in one concise list. Of course we cannot possibly cover all there is to know about lucid dreaming in one post, so what we’ve tried to do is put together a listing of lucid dreaming facts that provides a good summary. Lucid dreaming can be a wonderful way to have fun, get to know your subconscious, practice for real-life events, or do things you can’t do while awake. This website hopes to show you a wide variety of lucid dreaming techniques that can help your start your journey. Below we list two sets of lucid dreaming facts, one a top ten list of interesting tidbits, and the second a few facts related to the science of lucidity.
Lucid Dreaming Facts Overview
What follows are two presentations of lucid dreaming facts. The first covers 10 interesting facts about lucid dreaming that you may not know, and then the second section covers scientific facts about lucid dreaming that may be interesting.
Lucid Dreaming Facts Top Ten
Here are 10 core lucid dreaming facts that summarize the wonder of this pursuit, and might give you conversation starters when talking with those who may not have heard of, or at least have never thought of trying, lucid dreaming techniques:
1. Lucid dreaming is natural. Many people have spontaneous lucid dreams without trying. So using lucid dreaming techniques just allows you to increase your chances of having an experience that might have happened naturally anyway. This is one of the lucid dreaming facts that many may not be aware of
2. You can have lucid dreams at night and also when napping. This is an important fact because there may be somewhat different techniques that work best for each type of lucid dream. In fact, while you can pursue both types of lucid dreams at the same time, many people find that they do better with one or the other.
3. There are supplements that can help set the stage for lucid dreaming. Some of these supplements are things you may have heard of, such as Choline and for some people Vitamin B. Some you have probably not heard of such as Calea Z and Galantamine. These supplements cannot directly induce lucidity, but they can help set the stage by making dreams longer, more vivid, or more frequent.
4. There are certain beats and frequencies that you can play to increase your chances at lucidity. Often categorized as “Lucid Dreaming Music”, Bianaural Beats and Isochronic Tones may be ways for you to put your mind in the perfect state for lucid dreaming. These two techniques work a little differently and one or the other may work better for you.
5. There are many others trying to reach lucidity just like you. many forums and other online resources have been dedicated to bringing together lucid dreamers, and connecting with them can be fun, motivating, and educational.
6. There are actually devices that can help you achieve lucidity by giving you a signal either visually or with noise when you are in REM sleep and dreaming. These devices, often called masks or goggles, have been reported to be successful for some.
7. Any list of lucid dreaming facts must include the fact that techniques are central to your pursuit of lucidity. You may use supplements, music, or a mask to help you, but the bottom line is that solid techniques are what will lead you to success.
8. There are certain dream signs that can help you notice that you are dreaming. Many visual perceptions that are intricate and detailed are distorted or constantly change when you are in a dream. Looking for these signs while awake can trigger you to look for them when you are asleep, and that can trigger lucidity.
9. Passive lucid dreaming means that you are aware but you let things unfold without trying to take control. This method can help you learn about yourself and your subconscious, and can be quite exciting. You can even split a dream between passive and active.
10. You can practice for an upcoming event by tapping into lucidity. Maybe you have a speech t give, or you have to camp out but are afraid of spiders, or you want to ask a girl or boy for a date. You can practice and gain confidence while dreaming.
These 10 facts about lucid dreaming are helpful to keep in mind as you are learning the art, and at some point you will have your own facts to add. There are so many possibilities and paths you can follow as you learn how to lucid dream. See also our lucid dreaming stories for more personal facts from others.
“I love lucid dreaming” has seven interesting and thought provoking facts related to lucid dreams.
Lucid Dreaming Facts: The Science
Here are a few facts related to the science behind lucidity. These lucid dreaming facts are sometimes motivating – knowing that there is solid science behind the art of lucid dreaming can show that your techniques can truly pay off.
1. EEG readings have been used to prove that during periods of lucid dreaming there are brain wave patterns that suggest consciousness, coming as close as possible to proving the existence of lucidity during dreams.
2. Lucid dreaming can even be traced to certain parts of the brain. It has been theorized that when we become lucid in our dreams the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for self-awareness, becomes activated. This only happens during lucid dreams, not normal REM sleep.
3, Certain chemicals can enhance the lucid dreaming experience. For example, eating a food high in Vitamin B6 has been known to increase the vividness of dreams. You can also take supplements that have B6, but you should consult with your doctor before taking high doses.
4. We are programmed to keep a small connection to our waking world while dreaming – it’s one of our survival mechanisms. That is why lucid dreaming aids such as masks that flash light or play a sound to signal that we are dreaming can work well for some people.
If you are looking for something more general, LifeHacks provides information about sleep and dream facts.
These lucid dreaming facts summarize the art of lucidity, but of course there are many other interesting and facts that we could list as well. We hope you find them both motivating and interesting. Best of luck as you try to achieve lucidity tonight or during your next nap. Please use the comments section if you want to add to this list of lucid dreaming facts.